Lana Oweidat
Writing and Rhetoric 1
4 Dec. 2013
The Sour Wallflower
Ever since I was born, I’ve always been a
quiet person. Still up to this day, it’s not uncommon for me to here the
sarcastic words of, “God, Sarah, stop talking!” It isn’t that I don’t like to talk,
I just prefer to sink into the background of social situations so that I can
listen and take in the world around me. Unfortunately in this society, the
ability and desire to listen to and experience the world around you is not as
highly valued as being able to use logic to take charge of situations. That is
why for so long I tried to change my personality, thinking that some part of me
wasn’t good enough. I could not understand why social interaction seemed to
come so easy to others, but when I tried to put myself in an uncomfortable
situation my face would turn red, my hands turned sweaty, and my voice would
shake. Only recently have I come to accept this aspect of my personality, but I
would not be who I am today without the events and influences from my
childhood.
The
earliest incident I remember happened in sixth grade. We were on a class trip
to COSI, the science museum in Columbus, and I was having a great time with my
friends. The whole morning I was looking forward to seeing the IMAX movie – a film
about coral reefs, if I remember correctly - after eating lunch. When everyone
was finished eating their packed lunches, we followed the teachers to what
seemed to be the biggest movie theater in the world at the time, and were
ushered into the rows near the top. While waiting for the lights to dim, I
began hearing the boys sitting behind me making goat sounds, saying
“Baaaaaaaaaaah.” At first I didn’t think anything of it because I just thought
they were being stupid, but I quickly realized that their intentions were aimed
in my direction. For some reason, one of them had mentioned that I looked like
a goat, and because of their group mentality, they all began calling me “Goat
Girl.”
For
weeks I was called names and made fun of by this stupid group of immature boys,
and in all that time I never spoke a word about it to any of my teachers
because I was painfully timid, and did not want to cause any trouble. Years
later, I realized that I was in fact bullied. However, at the time I was not
very bothered by it. Rarely did I ever cry about those sorts of things, I more
just wanted to understand why they would insult me so much without really
knowing much about me.
Later
that year, another incident occurred, which again brought about the same
feelings of humiliation and misunderstanding. Two girls in my grade who I
believed to be my friends, again, bullied me. They told me that they had seen a
picture of me with red eyes, and that they knew I was a vampire. At first I
played along with the joke by chasing them around and hissing, but they quickly
took it too far and began alienating me. For almost a week straight they
stopped talking to me, and everyday at recess they ran up behind me, screamed,
and ran away. I asked them to stop, and when they wouldn’t, I finally decided
to tell a teacher. The girls were angry because they thought I was
overreacting, but I know now that it was the right thing to do, and at that
time I knew it was the right decision since I had remembered my last
experience. That was when I realized that I had to speak up in order to stand
up for myself and make my opinion heard.
Opening
up and losing the fear of being judged was a long process and lasted throughout
most of my grade school career. My quietness would often frustrate me because I
would be too afraid to ask questions in class or I would be terrified if
someone talked to me who I didn’t know. This fear really hurt my mind in the
long run, because eventually I fell into a spell of mild depression, all caused
by the fact that I was quiet and scared to make new friends, as well as my
boyfriend at the time leaving the country for eight months. I felt very lonely,
but very quickly overcame that feeling as I began to make new friends as I
forced myself to join clubs in the hopes that I could bring a change into my
life by asserting myself more. I very quickly found my niche in the tech crew
of the Drama Club – not as one of the actors because I’d rather be working
behind the scenes where no one can see me – and made one of my best friends,
who introduced me to new ideas of Buddhism and Shamanic practices, as well as a
whole new world of literature I had never discovered. He introduced me to Alan
Ginsberg, a beatnick writer who I still remain a fan of. Since then, I regularly
practice meditation, which played a part in me accepting who I am. The
beginning of senior year was the turning point of my independence.
That
year, I felt a sense of freedom I’d never felt before. Turning 18, and realizing
that there was an end to that way of life and pretty soon I could decide my own
future. Along with the rest of my class, my mindset changed and I no longer
felt the need to impress anyone or care about what they thought. Sure I felt a
small bit of sadness when I graduated, leaving them all behind, the people I
grew up with for 10 years, but more than anything I was happy to leave that
part of my life behind and begin the next part, in a completely new
environment. By the end of the year, I realized that I was just as good as
anyone else was in my own way, because I gained confidence through forming my
own ideas and overcoming the fear of social situations. No longer did I fear
what someone would think about me if I spoke my mind, because I discovered that
my opinions were just as valid as anyone else’s and that every human is equal.
Back
in seventh grade, I ran track, under the authority of one of the meanest
coaches at my school. I remember my coach – who was later my social studies teacher
– and this incident very well
because it was the first time I openly stuck up for myself against an
authoritative figure. I had missed a practice because I pulled a muscle in my
neck and could not run for a day. She insisted that I could not come back to
practice until I had a doctor’s note, but I did not go to the doctor because
there was no need. The next day, I showed up at practice, hoping she had
forgotten about the note, but instead she screamed my name asking why I was
there. I told her I didn’t have a note, but I was very capable of running.
Instead of talking to me, she instead began screaming at me that I had defied
her and that my mom made a coaches decision by sending me to practice. I then
told her “I’m pretty sure my mom has more authority over me than you,” and she
proceeded to call my mom. My mom also stood up for me, insisting that my coach
was forcing me to miss more practice and fall farther behind, just to prove her
authority.
I
have always been very proud of that story because I gained enough confidence in
myself to stand up for what I thought was right, and was rewarded for it, as my
coach then allowed me to practice that day. I later learned that that incident
was the first time that my current boyfriend noticed I existed, further proving
my point that it’s important to stand up for yourself and have self confidence
in order to be noticed and admired. Although my coach disliked me for the rest
of the year, she later told me that she admired my determination. She then
proceeded to try to persuade me into becoming a cheerleader, but I kindly and
firmly declined, because I would rather die than have to be a cheerleader. Again,
a reflection of my personality. I have always considered cheerleaders to be
attention-seekers, and the idea of cheering for other people as it’s own sport
seems very degrading. I would prefer to be the one being cheered for. However,
sports were never really my area of strength or interest.
My
interests always lay with my strengths, such as the art of writing and poetry.
Throughout high school I took up the habit of carrying a small notebook around
with me to my classes. Sometimes if I could spare the time, and felt the rush
of inspiration, I would attempt to write poems about things around me, and to
try to analyze situations, thinking about them through different perspectives.
This led to my alienation from many members of my class. As I observed the
people around me more and more, I began to understand and notice patterns
between people’s interactions. And from my perspective as the quiet girl in the
back, who rarely said anything that didn’t need to be said, I began to see the
central motivations of people’s actions, and compare them to today’s culture.
Question 1: Yes, the title is very creative
ReplyDeleteQuestion 2: Yes, I find the introduction to be very relatable to me personally, and it intrigued me instantly.
Question 3: The main theme throughout the entire essay is being shy, and how it affected her personality. Also how she has grown to accept this part of herself.
Question 4: Yes, the context is thorough and detailed. There are plenty of examples used throughout it.
Question 5: There is a lot of description and detail that really allow me as a reader to visualize the events described and also empathize with her.
Question 6: The details used in the essay appeal to the reader's pathos.
Question 7: The organization is fantastic because each subject is divided into smaller more specific areas making it very easy to follow.
Question 8: Sometimes the paragraph doesn't quite match up to the previous paragraph. For example, there is a transition from being 18, and then the next paragraph goes to being in 7th grade.
Question 10: Yes the writer is very self-reflective and looks into herself throughout the paper.
Question 11: No, there are more sources needed.
Question 12: The conclusion needs a slightly stronger closing statement.
Question 13: No visual elements yet.
Question 14: No works cited yet.
Question 15: I enjoyed this paper because of the fact that even though it is a personal essay it was very creative and kept my interest throughout the entirety of the essay. The organization and title are the two elements of this paper that really stood out to me as being the strongest.