Ethan Slagle
Professor Oweidat
Final Essay
22 November 2013
Mediocrity
and Me
I started playing baseball when I was only four years old
and instantly fell in love with America’s past time. When I got to the kid
pitch leagues most of my friends were bragging about how they were on the
summer team called the “A Team” which was only for the best players in our
township. I however, was not on the A team even though I felt I was just as
good as the rest of them. Not only was I not on the A team, but it took me
until the age of 12 to be put onto the B team. By the age of fourteen I was
spending almost every day training for baseball season, whether it was in-door
batting lessons in the winter, or long hours at baseball camps in the summer, I
was always putting in as much work as possible. It had been my dream for over a
decade now to be on a Varsity baseball team. I felt like I had put in the
necessary work, and I thought I deserved to be on the team. The following year
I went out for my high school’s baseball team, I worked hard at every single
one of the training camps, and gave everything I had at the tryouts. However,
when it came time to see who made the team, one of the few names not posted on that
horrible sheet of self-esteem crushing paper was Ethan Slagle. This was merely
one of many examples of how my mediocrity shaped me to be the person I am
today. The truth is, it is all much more complex than it appears. The end
product, being me as I am today, is the result of a complicated formula made up
of my personal mediocrity, leading to some sort of rejection, and ultimately
altering my personality and in the end constructing the person I am in the
present.
Athletics
were special to them. They, along with my girlfriend at the time named Paige Paskorz, influenced my views of tattooing to the point that I now have three tattoos each representing different parts of my life that are very important me. Also my now ex-girlfriend that I introduced earlier was a big influence on me because of her artistic and creative identity. She helped me expand my knowledge of music, and also made a big enough impact on me to alter my taste in music immensely which is now my most important form of self-expression. Harvey Fierstein once said “Art has the power to transform, to illuminate, to educate, inspire and motivate.” Which is very relevant to my life experiences throughout the years. My mediocre skill at baseball may have led to my rejection from the baseball team and my ultimate separation from my group of friends, but it allowed me to expand my horizons and venture into the vast world of music, art, and self-expression while being surrounded by new and interesting people.
Baseball is merely one example of how mediocrity led to
rejection, which molded my personality. Another example of this is my struggle
with basketball. Growing up I was never the biggest kid or the fastest kid on
the court, and because of this I was always told to work on my ball handling
skills and outside shooting ability. I worked hard at this going to summer
camps and spending countless hours outside in my driveway sometimes practicing
until one in the morning. Yet despite all of my hard work I was still denied a
place on the school basketball team merely because at five foot nine inches I wasn’t
tall enough to be on a basketball team. At the time I was devastated, but I now
realize just how much my experience with basketball truly helped me. For
example, the fact that I was too short to really be an effective basketball
player led me to be a more physical and tough player on the court which has
carried over into my everyday life. It made me more strong-willed, and also not
nearly as much of a push-over as I used to be. Also, because I was somewhat out
of my comfort zone on the basketball court seeing as I was a short white kid it
helped me leave my comfort zone and take more chances. A great saying from
actor Benedict Kumberbatch is “The further you get away from yourself, the more
challenging it is. Not to be in your comfort zone is great fun.” Which I find
to be one of the truest statements I’ve ever heard because of how leaving my
comfort zone has led me to start playing rugby and pick up skateboarding as a
hobby. If it hadn’t been for my experience with basketball there would be no
chance of me being on the rugby team or taking such a risk as skateboarding,
and I am now so thankful for the rejection I received from the basketball and
baseball teams.
Academics
As if it wasn’t enough to just be a disappointment to the
people around me in the athletic world, I also managed to be an academic
disappointment to my family. Growing up with an older sibling always seemed
like a good thing to me because my sister was a mentor and friend to me. It
wasn’t until I felt my parents comparing me to her that I realized being the
younger sibling may not be the greatest experience a person could have. My
sister was always a great student, and a near perfect daughter. She graduated
high school with a GPA of 3.9, earned a five on the English AP test, and rarely
stepped out of line, so she was never disciplined. I, on the other hand, was a
great student through middle school and in my freshman year of high school,
where I achieve a GPA of 4.0, but it was in my sophomore year of high school
that everything seemed to change. The high school that I attended was extremely
intelligent and even with my GPA being around a 3.7 I was still considered to
be merely average or of mediocre intelligence when compared to my peers. This
fact had a negative effect on my opinion of myself, and when that was combined
with my parents’ comparing me to my sister it all seemed to blow up. This also
happened to be the same year in which I was rejected from the baseball team,
and each of these factors contributed to the start of my acting out. My acting
out began with some experimentation with recreational drugs, and partaking in
underage drinking multiple times. My parents caught me doing both of these
illegal activities, and they went on to ground me multiple times. Little did
they know that their groundings would only provoke me more. The experimentation
with recreational drugs became a greater part of my life that I almost relied
upon, and sneaking out of my house became a regular thing for me. Also worse
activities like driving my car without a license and smashing mailboxes became
fun events for me. Although, all of these appear to be negative consequences of
my mediocre academic performance, it turns out that they were quite the
opposite for me. In fact, I attribute my current personality entirely to this
experience because my sophomore year of high school was essentially a time of
mental evolution for me. In other words it was a time where I underwent a
complete metamorphosis. The person I was
in the past was an awkward, shy kid that was focused on grades and basically
nothing else, but through my transformation I became a more confident and
strong person that had plenty of friends. For example, through the beginning of
sophomore year I couldn’t even talk to a girl without becoming completely
flustered, but then after going through my own personal metamorphosis I went on
to have 4 girlfriends throughout the rest of my high school career. Also
freshman year me, never thought that I would attend a dance with a girl in a
million years, but it turned out that I ended up attending multiple dances and
really breaking out of my shell. In fact, dances were one of my favorite parts
of high school because of how much I was able to let loose. Also my mental
evolution made me become very sarcastic, and my dry sense of humor led me to
become even more outgoing than ever before which is a characteristic that has
stayed with me.
artistic which includes my interest in “tagging”, which is street spray painting, and I also now have three tattoos and am about to get another one. Each one of my tattoos represents something that is very important to me, including the one that I will be getting next that represents my life as a college student. I also have become somewhat of a comedian for my group of friends in recent years, and I have also ventured way outside of my comfort zone which is something that I am extremely proud of. In many ways I welcome rejection from the world, because it has led me to forge a path of my own and I love the person I have become.
“Towering genius disdains a beaten path. It seeks regions hitherto unexplored.”~ Abraham Lincoln
Works Cited
"Quotes
About Comfort Zone." (21 Quotes). Goodreads, 24 Mar. 2010. Web. 06 Dec.
2013.
"Abraham
Lincoln." BrainyQuote. Xplore, 09 Mar. 2008. Web. 06 Dec. 2013.


No comments:
Post a Comment