Religion has never
been forced upon me; in fact it is quite the opposite, no one ever really
discussed the topic with me simply because my family not very religious. Because
of this I can’t really explain why religion has bothered me so much in my life.
It is this recurring theme that spirals me into a frenzy of emotions until I eventually
break down into hysteria. A cascade of questions and confusion used to draw me
back to the contemplation of god like a moth to the lamp post, each time taking
me down a path of self-examination until ultimately after making so many
mistakes I became spiritually satisfied and surrendered to an understanding
that was perfect for me as an individual, but it took a long time and plenty of
pain to figure out my serenity.
I think that in
the early stages of mankind’s development religion were extremely important and
largely served two purposes; the first was to explain how the world worked,
what are the stars, where did we come from. More importantly it satisfied confusion
unique to humans about our mortality and what would happen after death. Today
science satisfies all but one of those categories we still don’t know what
awaits each and every one of us at the end of our lives, however the facts that
we have discovered often conflict with religious historical texts and this
caused a great deal of confusion for me. It prompted an internal war of Faith
vs. Fact.
I have always said
“if you want to understand the Bible,
don’t read the Bible… It will only confuse the hell out of you. Instead read
the Chronicles of Narnia.” The
author C.S. Lewis has a genius way of explaining the Bible through his books of
tightly woven metaphors. My biggest issue with the Bible is that people declare
it is fact and everything said happened, however today the majority of people
are very scientific thinkers; they want to see proof and know how everything
functions. I am one of these people and if you tell me Lot’s wife turned into a
pillar of salt, I’m going to be a little skeptical. But the Chronicles of Narnia are different, the
reader already knows the stories are fiction and this allows their mind to open
up to more than just the story but the lesson imbedded within. The most
impacting segment of these books is the very end of the last book (The Last Battle).
Narnia is at war
and the two countries have their separate gods; Aslan representing God and the
opposing country’s god is the Devil, A.K.A Tash. The entire war represents the
rapture and everyone promptly dies and is sorted out by Aslan, but while in
‘heaven’ the Pevensie children see a young man from the opposing army who
believed in Tash and they ask Alan why he was not rejected. This is the moment
I think every human in the planet should read because it was the most profound
contribution to my spiritual life. Aslan explains that yes the boy worshiped
Tash but in his eye that god was good and represented all the same morals as
Aslan.
“[Aslan] and [Tash] are of such different
kinds that no service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not
vile can be done to him. Therefore if any man swear by Tash and keep his oath
for the oath’s sake, it is by [Aslan] that he has truly sworn, though he know
it not, and it is I who reward him. And if any man do a cruelty in my name,
then though he says the name of Aslan, it is Tash whom he serves and by Tash
his deed is accepted.”
Furthermore he said it does not
matter by what name he is called as long as his life was a good and just, not
evil and sinful, that it did not matter in what name he worshiped. This was my
true moment of epiphany because it solved my largest issue with religion. I
continually struggled to know if God was real or if some other religion was
correct but now it didn't matter because this book cleared it all up.
Think to
yourself the similarities between most religions, for the most part the god in
reference is a loving and caring god void of sin. So why would he be so vain
that he demands complete and utter obedience and dedication to him? So long as
the beings he created and loves are happy and peaceful then what does it matter
who they pray to at night? In the end they all are praying for the same things;
love, and happiness and health.
At first religion
was my scape goat. Anything that sparked a flare of anger or a sense of injustice
was put into this nice little definable box labeled religion so that it could
self-destruct. I was much younger during this chapter of my spiritual journey
and it just goes to show knowledge does come with age. I remember one incidence
in my adolescence that continues to inspire shame every time I happen to dwell
on it.
I was maybe in third of fourth grade when and we
were going to have a field trip. Memory fails me on where we were going, but
the important thing was the bus trip would be very long. So in order to prevent
total anarchy and mutiny amongst the nine year olds all the teachers strongly
supported that each child bring their assortment of portable video games to
distract… I mean entertain them for a long trip both the kids and the chaperones
were dreading. I had mixed feelings; on one hand I was afraid that if I showed
up empty handed everyone would see right through me, judge me. It was
disgusting the amount of dread I felt toward the moment I stepped on the bus
without some annoying little toy that everyone else had. However on the other
hand I had hope, albeit it misplaced hope, because I had saved up enough money
from birthdays and holidays I get one as long as I could get to the store
before the trip. I asked my mom, she said yes, and long story short we never
got to the store. I was devastated. I hated my mother for it and ran out of the
house intent on permanent exile, but only made it about a hundred feet out the
door where I promptly collapsed and cursed God. you caused this and I hate you”. To
pleading and bargaining - “please fix
this, I’ll never ask for anything in my life again, I’ll never sin if you just
give me this.” I realize now that I was addressing God more like someone
might interact with the Devil. Eventually my tear soaked sobs evolved into just
one word: “why”. This is a faithful
word in which I all ways confide in. Why would an all loving God deprive me of
something that meant so much to me? Ignorance is a word to describe this
milestone in my life. I acted like the delay toward getting a toy was the death
of someone I love; I felt actual grief over the denial of an object. This
obviously has some disturbingly deep social implications but I would never
change this moment in my life because it was the first big leap toward a
spiritual tranquility that was perfect for me as an individual. I reflect on
this time and feel immense shame because of the way I acted and was so quick to
invest every nasty emotion into this idea of God. This repulsion of my own
reaction helps me to realize that God is not something to place my blame,
anger, and resentment - but exactly the opposite and I see so many people who
invest their fear in God and the outcome is not healthy one. How important was
that toy? Insignificant! What I couldn’t grasp for a long time is that there is
no definable box when it comes to religion. No safe little spot in your heart
that you can go to whenever you’re angry or sad and all the bad feelings will
disappear. My ideal God is not here to privilege someone and that helped me
learn how to go without, and how to accept and be okay when something didn’t go
my way.
Because who else? From what I
had seen, from TV or just the way people acted, God caused and controlled
everything and when something bad happens you blame God. For the next two hours
I cascaded down a deteriorating path with God that started with blame - “
The second purpose
I think religion served was to implement a set of morals into a society that
otherwise had no restrictions on behavior. An individual two thousand years ago
could steal, murder, and rape with almost no repercussions; looking back at it
through my eyes I think that religion was formed in place of law. Society
integrated this thought that if you murder - eternal hell waits for you. It
serves its purpose to promote charity and love in everybody and prevent
suffering. For this reason I am glad religions have existed, but they evolved
into something people try an exploit or misinterpret by causing wars and
genocide in the name of their god. It is all about morals, people of faith have
their commandments and Atheists have their code of ethics but as long as they
don’t betray those morals I don’t think it matters for what reasons they act
civil.
Perhaps everyone
needs some type of faith that they can find solace in and until we do so we are
incomplete

1) Yes
ReplyDelete2) The introduction was very absorbing. After reading it, I wanted to continue.
3) The main theme of the essay is how Sam's interpretation of god changed throughout his life. Self-discovery resulted in a healthier religious understanding. The theme is pretty clear, but it could include more about personal experiences or other experience in which faith was tested.
4) Yes. The writer was in third or fourth grade and he was outside of his house and questioning god.
5) Effective metaphors used throughout create a more vivid picture of the writer's experience.
6) The writer addresses the need of some code of morals or ethics, whether secular or religious. He also highlights the importance of religion to one's spiritual health.
7) Organization could be reworked. You could use headings to introduce the periods in your understanding of religion (i.e. Childhood, Adulthood).
8) There were several effective transitions.
9) The writer does include personal reflection in his evolving understanding of god. The writer reflects on the bigger ideas of morals. I would recommend adding more about your views as of now.
10) Sources would improve the ethos of the essay.
11) The author ends his essay saying that people need faith to find solace. This is a good closure, but I would restate something about "serenity" to make the essay full-circle.
12) The visual elements added a source of comedy to the essay.
13) No, but inclusion of quotes should come first.
14) This essay did a good job of explaining your religious transformation. Also, perhaps you could add something about people who choose not to believe in god and that people don't always need god, but just something to believe in. This could just be a counter argument to give the essay more validity. Overall, this essay was very well written and appeals to the reader's pathos. You were able to connect to the reader in a personal way.