Monday, December 9, 2013

Final Essay Final Draft

Evan D. Bennett
Professor Oweidat
English 1510
December-10-13
The Undesirable Truth

            Food is sometimes a thing that we take advantage of in the western world. Everyday we have the ability to eat to our heart desire and not worry about ever running out. It’s hard to see a world without food and abundant resources. With 35.7% of adult Americans being obese, according to the Center for Diesis Control and Prevention, it isn’t hard to see that we have a problem with the way people eat in the United States. It may not be just how much we eat exactly but what we eat. Almost all the food we eat is from a genetically modified source usually full of trans fats, salt, carbohydrates, and cholesterol. Ever since I was a little I have had a deep interest in the way we eat and how we obtain our food.  It is very interesting to think about the food we consume and how we sometimes over think how lucky we really are to have all these resources. The food and the lifestyle choices I have made about what I put into my body and understanding the effects of what these foods do to us has shaped me as a person. It also has given me a greater understanding of the world and what it takes to survive and not looking over the important things in life such as being healthy and taking care of our bodies.
            From a very young age I remember my family putting a very high emphasis on food and what we eat and how it affects the way we live. I always remember family dinner when I was a child. Sitting at the long extended table with my family members. It was always a lush array of organic food spread across the table. As I child this food always seemed like a bunch of green mush, not sounding appealing at all. I never wanted to agree with my family at an early age, complaining to them that this food is gross or doesn’t taste as good as the food I ate over at my friends house. I remember this one incident when I was in 7th grade. Being an insecure middle school I was really nervous about having a friend over for dinner at my house. I recall my friend, Alex, asking “what are we going to have for dinner tonight?” I was very nervous when my friend asked me this because I knew that it would be something he is not used to eating at home. I nervously responded “I am not sure” knowing that he would probably be disgusted about what we actually were going to have. The evening finally fell upon us and my teenage nerves were getting to me. My mom brought the food out to the dinner table and I glanced over at my friend’s horrified look. All vegan cheeseburgers steamed broccoli and unbuttered mash potatoes, all vegans, all gluten free. Alex, reluctantly put the vegan cheeseburger in his mouth in fear of my moms hard work. The look that he gave was actually quite unexpected. A look of surprising satisfaction came across his face. “ This is actually really good” Alex explained to me as he dug in for more. My nervousness swept away, and I thoughts of healthy organic food maybe isn’t that bad.
  As I grew older and started to research this issue for myself it started to make more sense. It all started in 8th grade when my science teacher, Mr. Thoma,  told me about the possible negative consequences that occur when we just stuff food into our mouths without even thinking about how it was made or what is in it. This guy was the definition of a health freak, organic concoctions spread across his desk, always telling kids about their eating habits and how debauched some of the food they ate was. Most of the other students couldn’t relate to Mr. Thoma, but I could. Growing up in an organic household Mr. Thoma and I really hit off and always talked about healthy food choices. This teacher really got me interested in healthy food, which has stayed with me all my life.  A lot of kids made fun of him saying that he was a crazy health freak. I remember one specific story from earlier that year when somebody threw a bunch of grass in his salad thinking he wouldn’t notice; he did of course. He always used to tell me “ you are what you eat” and this stuck with me. As I went on the great World Wide Web and researched health food and the benefits of eating healthy, I became even more convinced. I kept researching and found some really interesting facts on the evil corporations that produce these manufactured foods, such as Monsanto and Tyson chicken. Here is a picture shown below.
 A tiny interest in organic food soon turned into an anger towards these evil corporations that control the food that we eat. According to Non GMO Project.Org  “Most developed nations don’t consider GMO’s to be safe. In more than 60 countries around the world, including Australia, Japan, and all the countries in the European Union, there are significant restrictions or outright bans on the production and sale of GMO’s. “This is a surprising fact that the United States does not want to accept, mainly because we are the biggest producer of GMO’s in the world and our economy relies heavily on them. These facts absolutely disgusted me, and made me really adamant about how to change. My mother soon took interest in my awareness about food and decided to take me to my uncles organically run farm.
It was a hot July day going into my freshman year of high school and my uncle invited me to come down to his farm to see how he made his food in a good wholesome way.  I remember coming down that country road looking at the lush green fields of my Uncles farm. A far contrast from the dirty farms I saw on the documentary Food Inc. There was almost clean country smell in the air that I will never forget. As I walked with my uncle around his farm, he explained to me to me how he did everything. It seemed like very hard work to produce such a small amount of food. He had livestock at the farm that he raised for milk and meat, and also grew an abundance of vegetables such as spinach, mushrooms, beets, and soy. I remember specifically when he was showing me how to milk the cows at the farm, he explained the down fall of having an organic farm. “ It is hard to have a farm like this, the huge corporations are always breathing town my neck. Giving me offers on my land. It isn’t good money, but I do it for the people who believe in a healthy lifestyle for their children and their children’s children.” What my uncle said had a lasting effect on my life. It also made me redefine the way we get the organic food my mother spend a lot of money getting for family dinners. The price of organic food really made me think twice about how we can get a hungry world to healthily without the price effect. I thought that the only reason why the food prices are so expensive is because the evil corporations such as Monsanto cut out he competition and make it hard for local farmers to run a successful business. According to the Center for Diseases control “low income families are more likely to be obese then their higher income counterparts.” This statistic got my thinking about ways to help these poor people become more aware of the things they eat and make organic healthy food more available for lower income people.
These ideas eventually led me, and a couple friends to create an organic food club in high school. It wasn’t hard to start up the club because my school gave us a lot of opportunity’s to be independent and expand on ideas. Not many people joined the club but the few that did were very adamant about organic healthy eating. Other kids at school never seemed to understand about what we were trying to do, and some even looked at us in a negative way, mostly out of misunderstanding. Our job was to get people to recognize the ill effects of eating genetically modified foods, and help people get access to organic food.  We actually did this trip were we went to an inner city school in Columbus and proposed the idea of urban gardening. A lot of kids living in a rough urban environment do not have access to organic food and eat a dinner of chips and soda that they got from the local convenient stores. One of our main goals was to give information to students and teachers about school lunches and the horrible food we were giving to our children. According to Lindenhurst Health and Fitness website school lunches have very little nutrition and are high in cholesterol and trans fats. The website also states that school lunches are a leading cause for childhood obesity in America. A lot of the school lunch ladies were very offended. They thought we were insulting them by calling their food unhealthy and not nutritious. This wasn’t our goal to insult them, and we tried to explain to them that it wasn’t their fault but the governments for allowing this food to be served to our children. We tried to get the kids to make healthier choices at lunch, especially the younger ones. We made trips to the middle school and tried to teach them the negative consequences of eating without thinking. Most of them didn’t believe us and were very skeptical but hopefully we changed their minds on some things. It was hard to teach kids new things about subjects they already have a wrong idea about. My ideas about healthy organic food stuck with me all through high school and eventually into college. Even to this day I try to eat healthily and spread the word to my classmates and friends to try to get more access on the foods we eat every day. All someone needs to make a change in his or her life is access to good information and a push in the right direction.
It is kind of a life goal for me to change the way people eat and make a difference in their lives. I don’t care about the money that is involved or the fame I just want to make a difference. With such a huge food epidemic in the United States of America there is a lot of work to be done. We have to come together as one human race and make a change. We have to cast out the evil corporate food monsters that plague our society and start thinking for ourselves. This is a very important issue to me that I really want to change. One day I hope to start a group similar to the one I started in high school here at OU.   Maybe even someday I can make a career out of nutrition. It is very hard to change the minds of people who have been doing something their whole lives. When there is something worth fighting for I will do it in a heartbeat. If we come together and slowly began to realize how bad the food we eat is and actually do something to change it could change lives. It could reduce obesity, fix the healthcare problems, and make people live longer, happier, healthier lifestyles. I’m not trying to force anybody to do what I say but just to listen and be open minded to the facts about the food business in the United States. It is hard for a health freak to live in a world constantly surrounded by the horrible foods we eat and it can even change a person. Maybe it is a good thing because it gives me the energy to change something that has gone horribly wrong in our society and eventually change myself to be a better person.
                                                           
Works Cited
"A Collaborative Initiative Working to Ensure the Sustained Availability of Non-GMO Options." The NonGMO Project RSS. NonGMO Project, 2013. Web. 06 Dec. 2013.
Ogden, Cynthia L., Dr. "Obesity and Socioeconomic Status in Children and Adolescents: United States, 2005-2008." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 14 Dec. 2010. Web. 05 Dec. 2013.
"Three Facts About School Lunches." Three Facts About School Lunches: Health & Wellness Tips: Community:. Lindenhurst Health and Fitness Center, 6 Mar. 2010. Web. 08 Dec. 2013.

Physicians committee. Tyson Chickens Food manufacturing business, march 28 2010. Web. 08 Dec. 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment