The
Ballad of Borris and Helga:
An Essay
by Judd Hynes
Rough
Draft
I was born on November 19th,
1994, at 8:28 AM; my parents could have given me any name they wanted
to on that day. I could have been a Tom or a Marvin, the names of my
Grandfathers. I could have been Brian, like my dad. I even could have
simply been Ben. But what did they name me? Judd...
My parents were young, only 21
years old at the time. They had started dating when they met in 9th
grade German class. My dad's German name was Borris, Mom's was Helga.
The year was 1987. Two years before that The Breakfast Club
was released, starring the one and only Judd Nelson. From what I
understand, my mother had quite the celebrity crush on him at the
time, and from what I've seen in pictures, my father had quite a
resemblance to Mr. Nelson back in his high school days. He even had
the nickname of “Judd” just for his similar features throughout
school. It only makes sense that my parents hit it off so well at
first.
It
seems like a match made in heaven, right? Although my parents dated
all throughout high school, they were just as dumb as most young
lovers ever have been. According to a Harris online survey, only 10%
of married couples my parent's age had met in school, divorce was
likely. Nonetheless, they were married and pregnant at the age of
nineteen with my older sister, Sydney, born on October 5th,
1993. She and I were only thirteen months apart. So there they were,
21 years old with one toddler, one infant, and no college education.
To be honest, I have no idea how they managed to get by for the first
few years. But that's not what this story is about. Just after
Christmas of 1996, my mother moved out of the house that we all lived
in together. By February of 1997, the divorce was made official. I'm
not entirely sure what caused it, and people often wonder why I'm not
disappointed when I tell this story. They say things like, “Oh, I'm
sorry to hear that.” When I was younger I had no idea why people
felt sorry for me. I didn't have a bad life at all. I had no idea
that “divorce” was such a dark word to people. It was a word I
had been accustomed to my entire life. I knew nothing different. The
simple fact is, I can't be sad about a divorce when I was too young to
ever remember the marriage to begin with. People didn't always
understand that. I was even able to benefit from my parents divorce.
At the
beginning of my childhood I lived with my mom mostly. According to
Dr. Linda Nielson's article, Shared Parenting: Facts and Fiction,
people often think that kids benefit more from their mother's
parenting, the father's parenting is equally beneficial, although may
be a different type of parenting. However, my dad joined the U.S
Marine Corps shortly after the divorce, he served for about two years
I think. We didn't see him much during that time, but when he came
back Sydney and I would go to our dad's every other weekend or
something like that. He was busy with long hours at a job in a steel
mill at the time so mom got more custody. One of the earliest
memories I have is being in our backyard. I had a toy bow and arrow
with a sort of plunger at the end of it. I had just met James, who
would soon be my stepdad. He always enjoyed bow hunting and he taught
me the most efficient way of shooting my plunger bow. He married my
mother in August of 1999, I hadn't even turned five years old yet.
Around the
same time I remember going to my dad's and meeting someone named
Sharon. One of her nephews, Kyle, was turning 4 years old, my age,
and we went to his birthday party. I met nearly all of Sharon's
family. I had never met Kyle before going to his birthday party, but
we became pretty good friends after that. Everyone there was really
nice to me too. Now, I call those people my family. Sharon and my dad
got married in April of 2000, and I got a whole new family with it. I
was happy.
Nowadays
when I say the words “my stepdad” or “my stepmom” people
sometimes give me sad looks. They'll ask things like, “Is he/she
nice to you?” or “Do you get along with him/her?” Society seems
to perceive step parents as being some sort of symbol of evil,
probably because of what we've learned in Disney movies like
Cinderella. The truth is, I didn't always get along with my
step parents, and no, they weren't always nice to me. But I could say
the exact same thing about my biological parents. I've had four
parents my whole life, with neither one having any precedence over
the other three. That's just how I see it. Some don't always
understand it, but all I can say is this. Four parents are better
than two, or one, or even none at all. I'm thankful for the way I was
able to grow up.
Skipping
ahead to when I was in about sixth grade, my dad had just finished
going back to community college and got an associates degree in
software engineering. He was doing well for himself. My mom was
looking for a new house at that time and there was an open house
within her price range, right on the same street that my dad lived
on. Because my dad was doing better financially than he was earlier
on in my life, he had more custody over my sister and I than he did
before. I had two half sisters by now as well: Casey, born Jan. 10th
2001 from my mother and stepfather; and Mia, born Nov. 23rd,
2005 from my father and stepmother. So now my three sisters, four
parents and I all were living on the same street. I had a key to both
of my houses, and when I got off my school bus I could go to
whichever house I wanted to now. I had this new sense of freedom and
I was only twelve years old. Throughout my whole life I had always
been around Sydney. She was the only constant I had, none of my
parents could even be around me all the time. Two pre-teens
being around each other that much; naturally we fought all the time.
Having the freedom to choose between two locations was amazing to me.
I would often go to whichever house Sydney wasn't at. So, the one
constant person that was always there (whether I wanted it or not) no
longer had to be. Because of this, I developed a sense of
independence much earlier on in life than most people. I didn't rely
on anyone around me for emotional support. I guess you could simplify
it as, I did my own thing from there on.
Having two
different homes with two different families sometimes caused
confusion. When I was younger, it was only with small, seemingly
unimportant things. My mom and stepdad were more heavy-set people, in
comparison to my lean skeleton like build. They would tell me,
“You're too skinny. You need to eat more.” While my other set of
parents were more into dieting and exercise, “You should start
going to the gym and bulk up a little more” wasn't an uncommon
phrase for me to hear from them. I'm glad I was able to hear two
different opinions on what my body “should” or “shouldn't”
look like. I was given the suggestions of eating more and working out
more, neither of which I wanted to do. There was never a problem
until they pointed it out. That's when I realized that it didn't
matter what they wanted, or anyone else. All I needed was to be
content with myself. I grew up with no insecurities, all because of
my parental situation. This same situation that society sees as being
a bad way for a child to grow up.
A similar
circumstance took place when I was in high school. I got a car for
Christmas my sophomore year and got my driver's license the
following February. My dad moved about forty five minutes away to a
really big house with five acres of land a few months later that
year. But since I had a car, I could still go to which ever house I
wanted, I just had to pay for the gas. So naturally, I started
staying at my mom's more often. This uneven distribution of my time
caused a lot of conflict between my parents and I. My dad paid for a
lot of things in my life. I was involved in a lot of extracurricular
music programs in school that my dad helped out with a lot, bought
instruments for me, and really supported me. He saw it as unfair that
I didn't make an effort to come see him. My mom said that he was the
one who decided to move forty five minutes away from the school I
went to, the rest of my family, my friends, and all my activities. It
shouldn't be my responsibility to drive 27 miles to school every day.
Both parents had good points and I understood both sides, but they
both wanted me as much as possible. I came to the conclusion on my
own that the only fair thing to do was to divide up my time as evenly
as I possibly could. It seemed the only fair thing to do and I think
everyone was pretty happy with the resolution. The point I'm making
is that my situation with divorced parents taught me to think for
myself in life. I learned to have a mind of my own, and that even
though my parents have told me something doesn't mean it's true or
rational. My parents were normal people who made mistakes, just like
everyone else, and I was able to learn from that and appreciate it.
That's not something all kids get.
Even into
adulthood I've been able to benefit from the separation of my
parents. All my friends were getting very sentimental and bittersweet
feelings when it came time to move in to college, understandably. For
me, I never had one permanent home. Coming from two different homes,
both of which moved several times, living in one place for four years
seemed like a relief to me. Sure, I would miss everyone, but with
today's technology keeping in touch long distance is easy, and I'm
only three hours away. I was a lot of change, but what was difficult
for some kids, was made very easy for me, and I feel that I will
continue to gain from my way of growing up for probably the rest of
my life.
Upon
beginning this essay, called my mom and asked her for the dates he
she and my dad got separated, divorced, etc. She told me that her
mom, (my grandmother) was working as a secretary for a divorce law
firm at the time, and it was able to go through in less than three
months, much quicker than average. She often wondered what could have
happened had it taken the usual time for the divorce to be
finalized. They could have worked out whatever problems they had,
moved back in together, prevented dad from joining the military;
possibilities are endless. My mother described all this as “water
under the bridge” and to me, that's exactly what it is. With my
parents divorced, I gained two entire new families from my
step-parents, a sense of self-security, and a sense of independence;
thinking for myself. I wouldn't have it any other way than that.
Society perceives divorce as being “bad” or “unfortunate.”
From my experience, the result was much better than how other people
see it, and I think it's in fact a good thing. If my parents had
attempted to live together for our sake, we would have been around
constant fighting. There's nothing sad about people who can no longer
stand each other, not having to put up with it anymore. In an
article, Is Divorce Bad for Children, in an online journal
Scientific American, Only a small percentage of kids suffer
serious problems from divorce, and there are 1.5 million children
growing up in the U.S. with shared parenting situations. I think my
parents made the right choice and today's overall perception of
divorce is wrong. My parents' real names are Brian and Dawn.
1. Yes I like the title
ReplyDelete2.I enjoy the writers intro. I thought it fit well with the story.
3. The theme is how he discovered himself through having divorce parents and how It was not as bad as everyone says it is
4.Yes he gives a lot of examples.
5. Uses a lot of good language and examples from his own life to explain his story.
6.Yes he has plenty of details
7.The essay is organized very well it almost seems to go in a timeline like order
8.I really had no problem following your essay everyone flowed very well it was not choppy at all.
10.He does he uses many life reflections it helps us understand what he is talking about.
11. I believe he has two sources. If he could find one more source that works well with his paper then he will be fine. Maybe find more stats on how having divorced parents really is not that bad.
12. I like the way he ended it. However, one way it could be further improved is to talk about how having divorced parents really is not that bad.
13. No visual elements have been aded so work on that.
14.There is no works cited page
15. I think the strongest par of Judd's essay is all the experiences from his life he put in to his essay. It really helps understand what he is trying to talk about. If there is one thing you could improved I would say just give more stats on why having divorced parents really is not that bad. I also really liked your essay because I could relate with some of your experiences as my parents are divorced as well. I really do not have any questions that need to be answered. Also, do not forget visual elements. Nice Job Judd!!!!!!!