Ryan Yankush
Professor Oweidat
English 1510
December 3, 2013
First
Draft
While we all heard
screaming coming from downstairs, my other three siblings and I simultaneously
gathered on steps to listen. As we
listened closer and longer, we knew things were not going good and all of our
eyes became very watery because we knew the inevitable was going to happen
soon. Finally my mom said the words,
“get out and do not come back!!” We all
knew it was over as my dad shut the door behind him, but none of us wanted to
believe what was going to happen… Our parents were getting a divorce. It was pretty naive of us to not to know it
was coming considering all of the signs: my mom always sleeping on the coach,
my dad trying to stay at work as late as possible, and constant fighting when
they were both home. However, we were all so young and just did not want to
believe that this was happening to our family.
Divorce is a very
common thing in America, in fact, according to Alan J. Hawkins and Tamara A.
Fackrell, the authors of Should I Keep
Trying to Work It Out?: A Guidebook for Individuals and
Couples at the Crossroads of Divorce (and Before), about
forty to fifty percent of first time marriages
will end in a divorce(41). However, my family is from a small, quiet, and
pretty wealthy community where divorce does not occur that often. I was always an active and outgoing kid when
I was younger and had no problem making any friends or anything like that. When I was sixth grade, that is when my
parents got the divorce and that is when things in my life started changing a
lot. Though people believe that divorce
has a negative effect on children, I think had some positive and negative
affects on me, and may have actually help me build character in some ways.
Out
of the ways my parent’s divorce made a positive impact on me, the way I picked
my friends is probably the one that has affected me most. Their divorce made me have some trust issues,
which is a good and bad trait, but it this sense I look at it as a good thing
because I based all of my friends off of people I can only completely
trust. There is nobody I trust more than
my twelve bothers on my soccer team. I
can go to them with anything at anytime, and knowing this during that time of
my life really gave me a sense of well-being.
I always knew that if was every
feeling down, I could pick up the phone and they would be on their way to get
me right away.
In fact, me trying out
for the team in the first place had a lot to do with my parents divorce, because
once it happened I knew I had to find something to do to keep my mind off it so
I started playing soccer. So if it were
not for that I would have never really even talk to the kids on the soccer
team. Aside from my teammates which I
called brothers, it also made me get a lot closer with my actually siblings
because I knew they were feeling the same way and we could all talk to each
other about it, and now about anything because we really opened up to one
another. This was really big in my life because just years before the divorce I
never really talked to them that much unless we were fighting. So I do believe
divorce can, in someway, bring families closer together in some aspects.
On
the other hand, having these trust issues have also affected me in a negative
way as well. First and foremost, my
parents divorce really but a halt on any sort of relationship I could have been
in because I was just not ready to trust anyone with all my feelings like
that. But even before the divorce, I was
hesitant to enter a relationship, because like I stated earlier, my parents
were always fighting anyways. So I grew
up hardly ever seeing any affection in a relationship so I never really knew
how to act towards girls. Once they
actually got the divorced, I knew I was not ready for a relationship for sure,
so I kept all my feelings inside and to this day I still do not tell people
about my feelings, whether it be to the girl I have feelings for or to my
friends. To go along with this, another
problem was my social skills. I am a
pretty social guy, and I always have been but after my parents got separated, I
got a little shyer. I got shyer because
like I said before, we are from a small town where divorce does not happen
often and the word gets around quick if it does, so I didn’t want people to
look at me or treat me different because of it.
With that, there were always the awkward situations I encountered, such
as, when my friends came over to spend the night they would always ask where my
dad was, or at soccer games or banquets they would ask me the same thing. At soccer banquets and things of that nature
I would always worry about my parents having to see each other, so I never
really focused on what was going on. Another
one is when people just randomly say they have never seen my dad, and I just
was not mature or comfortable to answer those types of questions when I was at
that age. Need transition
Another
way my parent’s divorce affected me in a positive way was by making me into
more of a man and holding down the house.
I knew I had to become the man of the house once my dad moved out so I
got a job once I got in high school and the disciplined me very well. I got the job because I knew things were not
going to be the same (money wise) as when my dad was there and knew if I wanted
something I was going to have to get it myself.
And rightful so, that is what happened.
So this really made me respect and value to the actually value of a
dollar, and this has really helped me so far and will continue to help me
through the rest of my life. I also had
too start doing all of the chores around the house (dirty work). I would mow the lawn, take out the trash, get
on the roof and clean the gutters… I did everything around the house, but I am
not going to complain because I learned many things doing this stuff on my own,
such as fixing lawn mowers, toilets, and handyman things like that. They do not really sound like positive
things, hell, I was even pissed when it first happened and I had to start doing
all of them, but hard work pays off. I
would have never learned those skills if my dad never moved out, so there is a
little bit of a silver lining.
However,
the good comes with the bad. Being man
of the house was nice and all but having that much responsibility was hard to
handle at the young of an age. Between
work and chores I hardly had anytime for my friends and schoolwork, which set
me back a little. My freshman year of
high school was the year I did my worst and ended up getting my only C. I couldn’t handle all of the pressure/ work/
schoolwork, and it showed in the end. Then with my social life, it was pretty
much non-existent after soccer season.
So I started to get a little depressed and exhausted at this time in my
life. To add on to that my mom was even
more depressed and stressed because of the whole money situation. She was just really upset because she wanted
us to be happy and get us everything we wanted but she knew she could not
because most of our money came from my dad before he moved out. Seeing her sad like this really made things a
lot worse for all of us. These years
were the toughest on me by far.
Seeing
my dad only once a week and only for a little bit on holidays was really tough
as well. I never really had anyone to
take to about guys stuff, in fact, my best friends dad gave the infamous “talk”
that dads usually give to their sons. It
was really uncomfortable and rough for me to have to go through most of my
childhood with out a definite father figure to look up to and guide me through
my adolescents. I know he would have
done anything to be there for me but it was just an unfortunate time in our
lives and I cannot blame him for it.

1.) No, he does not have a title yet, but an effective title would be "The New Man of the House."
ReplyDelete2.) The introduction does a good job setting up the rest of the paper.
3.)The main theme of the paper is how a parents divorce can effect children in adolescence, and the theme is very clear.
4.) He establishes the when and where very well because he accurately describes how he was in high school, going through stages of adolescence.
5.) He describes the positives and negatives of having his parents get divorced and accurately describes how he had to deal with the situation, how the situation directly effected him in his day to day life, and the responsibilities he had to take over once his father left.
6.) He gives accurate and descriptive details, but he could add a few more.
7.) He organizes the paper chronologically and does it very well.
8.) He needs to add transitions into some of his paragraphs but he had already pointed this out himself, but has some very strong transitions as well,
-" I would have never learned those skills if my dad never moved out, so there is a little bit of a silver lining. " is a very good transition.
10.) Yes he accurately reflects on how his life changed and what challenges he faced once his father left.
11.) He has not incorporated any sources at this point, but he could find information on how kids are effected by a divorce and how he overcame these facets.
12.) He could make the conclusion more powerful and sum up how the experiences in his life made him who he is today.
13.) He gives a picture of his "brothers" on his soccer team to engage the reader in his family.
14.) He has not listed his sources as of now, but he says he has them ready to put in the paper.
15.) The strongest aspect of his essay revolves around how he faced challenges of his parents divorce and how they effected the whole family. He displays high amounts of emotion when he describes how his mother wanted his family to be happy, but one parent paying for a whole family can make life extremely difficult. It forced him to get a job to pay for anything he wanted. It was a very strong paragraph that made emotionally feel for his situation. Another good point is when he describes how his fathers best friend had to give him the 'talk', and I can understand how that would be hard on any kid. Overall, his ideas are very compelling and are strongly supported with details. It is a very good piece.